Ok, so you just invested a pretty penny on your car lift. Now, how do you maintain it in tip top shape for a long period of time? I’m sure you want to get your money’s worth and use it for years to come so follow these tips in order to maintain your car lift in the best shape it can be.
Things that must be checked every month
- Make sure that you check the chains and cables of the car lift. What you can do is grab a thick rag, splash some lightweight oil on it and wipe the length of the cable or chain to see if there are any breaks in the strands of the cable.
- Check the hydraulic equipment and hoses for leaks, if there are any leaks, you will probably see some oil stains on the floor so this is a good way to check.
- Also, make sure that the arms of your lift are working properly. Make sure to extend the arms all the way out, and also, check to see if the rubber pads are in good shape.
- Inspect all the nuts and bolts on your car lift and make sure that all of them are fastened tightly and securely.
Things to do to maintain your car lift
- First of all, make sure that you put the correct oil in your car lift. Most people always use transmission fluid when they should always be using hydraulic oil #32.
- Clean your lift every month, otherwise a lot of dirt and mud will start building up throughout the car lift. You can do this every month or so by wiping down all the grease from those hard to reach places.
- Once you have cleaned your car lift thoroughly, make sure that the cables, chains, pulley system, rollers, and carriage pins are all correctly lubricated with enough grease. If your hear a “squeak” when operating your car lift, that means that one of the pulleys are dry, so make sure that you grease the pulleys so you can keep your car lift in tip top shape.
- It would also be a good idea to bring in a certified local service man to check your car lift every 6 months to a year. Even though it might cost you a bit for the service tech to check everything, it will be a lot less expensive than if your car lift breaks down. And since you are planning on keeping this car lift for at least 5 years, it is advisable for someone to come in and fix whatever might need tuning.
Doing all of these things will maintain your car lift in great condition for many years to come. Remember, you are investing at least a couple of thousand dollars in this equipment and want to treat it the best way possible. So make sure you do these simple things in order to maintain your car lift in great condition for at least the next 5 years.
For more info check out